Other Things to Check

Last updated: 18/11/2020

There are a number of requirements that you need to consider before or during your medical study. These include inherent requirements, police checks, health checks and visas. Not all of these may apply to you, but it's best to check with your university.

Inherent Requirements

You will be required to demonstrate various inherent requirements at entry and during the medical course, including:

  • Knowledge and cognitive skills
  • Literacy and numeracy
  • Communication (verbal, non-verbal, written)
  • Vision, hearing and tactile ability
  • Mobility, gross motor skills and fine motor skills
  • Sustainable performance
  • No risk of interruptions to consciousness
  • Ethical behaviour
  • Monitoring and management of own health
  • Legal compliance

If you have concerns about meeting the inherent requirements, a discussion should take place about adjustments.

To Ensure the Safety of Others

  • Police checks
  • Health checks
  • Working with children check

First Aid Certificate

You will need to provide a current first aid certificate.


If you are an international student, you will need a valid student visa. Visit the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs or New Zealand Immigration website for further details.

Are you interested in attending a medical school in the UK instead of Australia or New Zealand? Check out Medify’s UK Medical School Admissions Guide.

Ready to Get Started?

Access the UCAT ANZ Course Now